While there are many definitions of good design, and many opinions on what good design means, the 10 Principles of Good Design by Dieter Rams is generally the most universally agreed upon set of rules that can serve as a good definition of good design. Here they are:
- Good design is innovative.
- Good design makes a product useful.
- Good design is aesthetic.
- Good design makes a product understandable.
- Good design is unobtrusive.
- Good design is honest.
- Good design is long-lasting.
- Good design is thorough down to the last detail.
- Good design is environmentally friendly.
- Good design is as little design as possible.
Dieter Rams is a German industrial designer closely associated with the consumer products company Braun and the Functionalist school of industrial design. His unobtrusive approach and belief in "less but better" design generated a timelessness nature in his products and have influenced the design of many products, which also secured Rams worldwide recognition and appreciation. The list above is considered to be one of the best definitions of what good design really means.