The third annual Design in Tech Report examines how design trends are revolutionizing the entrepreneurial and corporate ecosystems in tech. Today’s most beloved technology products and services balance design and engineering in a way that perfectly blends form and function.
Key Observations this year:
- Design isn’t just about beauty; it’s about market relevance and meaningful results.
- At top business schools, design thinking is moving into the curriculum — driven by market demand.
- Both McKinsey & Co and IBM have recently made appointments at their most senior levels for designers.
- Adopting an inclusive design approach expands a tech product’s total addressable market.
- Computational designers remain in demand at technology companies of all sizes and maturity levels.
- Chinese design in tech principles and practices are leading the world, but are often overlooked.
- Design tool companies and design community platforms occupy new positions of value for tech.
- Voice- and chat-based interfaces are grounded in mental models that don’t require a visual representation.
Do watch the full video on Vimeo, and let us know what you think!