There are hundreds of ways and nothing is bad at all.
You need to choose the one you feel comfortable.
Let me tell you something. If you don't like this, go on, find your own and let others know who need your help.
- Start with C. (Know about some header files and their features)
- Open account in UVa Online Judge
- Insert your UVa user name @uHunt Tool
- Solve at least 200 problems (Any 200, Ad-hoc, String etc.)
- Solve problems from Math section as many as possible.
- Learn C++ (It should not take more than 2 days)
- Learn C++ STLs and built-in algorithms. And some necessary stuff like Two pointer, Bit manipulation etc.
- Solve some problems from uHunt's Data Structures and Libraries section.
Note for uHunt:
You may get confused about which problem to try. In this case, target a few ACCEPTED list of some experience coders, i.e. your senior. Go to their uHunt page, start from the end.
This may help:
- Join this A2OJ ladder. Solve them all.
- Learn basic Graph theory & Data structure [BFS, DFS and Disjoint set Union]
- Solve 100+ problems on them.
- Now spend at least 1 month only on Recursion, Backtracking.
- Now finish uHunt's Problem Solving Paradigms section.
- Solve a lot of problems on Segment tree, Fenwick tree, Greedy.
You are doing superb <3
- Try heart & soul to solve most of the problems from LOJ. This will give you a ton of juice. I have 400+ topics in my list. But it's useless here. When you will go with LOJ, you will get know all the major stuff.
- Solve as many as you can from USACO Training Program Gateway
- Pick up ladders from A2 Online Judge . Go on......
- Timus Online Judge : Great for training. (es. for team)
- USA Computing Olympiad past contests
- Młodzieżowa Akademia Informatyczna (MAIN) past contests.
Try to take part in as many contest as possible.
And, Nafis Sadique gave a tremendous answer here [ Nafis Sadique's answer to What should be included in a detailed 4 year plan for a CS 1st year student in Bangladesh who wants to qualify for the ACM ICPC World Finals at the end of his/her 3rd or 4th ]