There are 3 major types of fasting regimens:
- The Circadian Rhythm Fast (13:11): Aim to start fasting as close to sunset as possible for at least 13 hours daily
- (Recommended) 16-Hour Intermittent Fast aka Leangains (16:8): Popularized by Hugh Jackman and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Start your fast after dinner (say 8 PM), and fast until lunch next day (say 12 PM).
- The Warrior Diet (20:4): By trimming the eating window into an even shorter one (just 4 hours), you are trying to maximize the benefits of fasting by letting your body stay in fasted state even longer.
- The Monk Fast (5:2): This constitutes two 36-hour fasts over the week. A typical schedule may look like:
- Fast 1: Start Sunday evening after dinner (7 pm). End Tuesday morning when you get up (7 am).
- Fast 2: Start Wednesday evening after dinner (7pm). End Friday morning when you get up (7 am).
You may also hear about the Himalayan Fast (60 hour fast) and other protocols, but we'll cover them later.